Batch Holdings Update/Delete
Store a list of OCLC control numbers in a Notepad document. Import the list to Connexion using a batch process to delete (or update) holdings from multiple records instead of one record at a time. The batch process is useful for approval plan work (books not selected), transferring materials from one campus to another, and other projects. The same list of control numbers can be used more than once. For example, books transferred from Cook Library to Gulf Coast Library require that OCLC holdings for Hattiesburg be deleted and holdings for Gulf Coast be updated. These instructions are written to delete holdings.
- Create a Notepad (plain text) document; save and name it OCLC Holdings (or other name of choice).
- Copy OCLC control numbers from bib records. If copying from MARC field 035, do not copy (OCoLC) or (Sirsi) o.
- Paste control numbers into the Notepad document, one control number on each line.
- Press Enter to move the cursor to the next line. A hard line break is required to separate the control numbers.
- Control number length is not relevant. Control numbers that are less than 8 or 9 characters in length do not need leading zeroes.
- Save early; save often.
Here is a sample list of control numbers.
CAUTION: Before using the Batch Holdings utility, verify the default login authorization in your Connexion setup. Click on Tools / Options / Authorizations. If the batch process you want to carry out is for Cook Library, the default authorization setting must be for Cook Library. If the batch process is for Gulf Coast Library and your default authorization login is set for Cook, the action will be carried out on Cook holdings. Some holdings will be deleted that you did not intend to delete, and others will show errors because holdings were not set in the first place so could not be deleted. Be certain the radio button for the correct library is selected for the batch process you want to carry out. Click on Apply and then click on OK.
- To start the batch process, open Connexion but DO NOT log in. If Connexion is already open, log out.
- On the menu bar, click on Batch.
- Click on Holdings by OCLC Number.
- Click on Browse and navigate to your saved Notepad document with control numbers. Select it and click Open (or double click on the document name).
- Click on Import and see the list of control numbers in the box.
- "Do you want to delete your original import file?" Answer No.
- Click on the Delete Holdings radio button under Action.
- Click on OK.
- Connexion will log in to the default authorization that is set in Tools / Options/ Authorizations and process the list in groups of 25 control numbers. A progress window will open for you to view. When the process finishes, Connexion will log out automatically and a batch holdings report will be generated that can be printed for recordkeeping purposes. Note the successful or failed actions on the report.
- If you changed the default login authorization, change it back if necessary.
- Return to the Notepad document. Select and delete all the control numbers if they are no longer needed. Save the file for repeated use.
If you need to delete holdings for one library and update holdings for another, use the same process as outlined above with some changes.
- Change the default authorization login for the second batch process under Tools / Options / Authorizations. If this step is neglected, holdings will be updated for the library for which they were just deleted.
- Open the batch window and import the same list of control numbers.
- Select Update Holdings and OK.
Linda K. Ginn
July 30, 2012