Special Collections Home Archives Digital Archives - finding aids, photographs and more... The Lena deGrummond Collection of Childrens's books source material. About Special Collections Click to go to the Libray Home Page
Special Collections at the University of Southern Mississippi
About Special Collectionsde Grummond Children's Book CollectionUniversity ArchivesManuscriptsDigital Collections
Special Collections Home » Our Collections » University Archives - Mission » Information for USM Personnel about University Records

Information for USM Personnel about University Records

The University Archives keeps records of permanent value related to the University that have long-lasting administrative, legal, fiscal, or historical significance. The transfer of University records to the Archives is also managed through Retention Schedules approved in accordance with the UNIVERSITY RECORDS RETENTION AND DISPOSITION POLICY.

Examples of records that ordinarily may be transferred to the Archives include, but may not be limited to:

  • significant correspondence and memos (should not include routine correspondence like itineraries, letters of transmittal, etc.)
  • committee minutes
  • publications created by the office or department
  • publications/articles about the office or department
  • administrative reports (especially annual or biennial reports)
  • final research reports of grant projects
  • other comprehensive reports created by the office or department
  • photographs of significance (along with appropriate dates and identifications whenever possible)
  • biographical records
  • records of official policies and procedures of the office or department
  • records of special events associated with the office or department
  • budget printouts for the first and last months of each fiscal year
  • significant sound and video recordings

Copes or duplicates of records created by another office or department at the University ordinarily should not be transferred to the Archives with another office's or department's records. Personnel and student records are not kept in the Archives.

USM GENERAL RECORDS RETENTION SCHEDULES cover records and copies of records common to many offices and departments. There will be updates whenever applicable items are approved in the future (ref. USM Policy ACAF-LIB-013, Part 3.5: "The University Libraries may directly issue General Schedules regarding frequent, normal disposal of certain routine internal records and copies of records common to many University offices and departments."). Contact the Curator about Schedules for other records specific to offices and departments.

If an office or department also happens to have memorabilia related to the history of the University in general or of the office or department in particular, please contact the Archives to see if some of these materials may be appropriate for transfer to the Archives.

How to transfer items to the Archives:

  • Call extension 4348 or 4117 to notify Archives and to arrange a day/time to transfer records.
  • Put the records in labeled folders.
  • Arrange the folders in accessible order.
  • Box the folders in acid-free boxes provided by the Archives. (Call extension 4348 or 4117 to get these.)
  • In the front of each box, include a list of the folders contained in that box.
  • Please do not write anything other than a box number (in pencil) on the outside of the boxes.

Questions should be addressed to the Curator at extension 4117 about records retention and disposition and what should be transferred to the Archives.