Information for USM Personnel about University Records
The University Archives keeps materials of permanent value related to the university. These are records that have long-lasting administrative, legal, fiscal, or historical significance.
What to send to the archives:
- significant correspondence and memos (should not include routine correspondence like itineraries, letters of transmittal, etc.)
- committee minutes
- publications created by your unit
- publications/articles about your unit
- administrative reports (especially annual or biennial reports)
- final research reports of grant projects
- other comprehensive reports created by your unit
- photographs of significance (along with appropriate dates and identifications whenever possible)
- biographical records
- records of official policies and procedures of your unit
- records of special events associated with your unit
- budget printouts for the first and last months of each fiscal year
- significant sound and video recordings
In general, only records that are no longer actively used in the operation of the office should be transferred to the Archives. If you haven't used it in the last year and it meets the criteria of being of "permanent value", that's when you want to send it to us.
If it's something created by another office on campus, it should not be transferred to the Archives with your materials. Personnel and student records are not kept in the Archives. In addition, things such as invoices, purchase orders, and registration forms are not kept by the Archives.
If your office happens to have memorabilia related to the history of the University in general or of your unit in particular, please let us know. Some of these materials may be appropriate for transfer to the Archives.
How to transfer items to the archives:
- Put the records in labeled folders.
- Arrange the folders in accessible order.
- Box the folders in acid-free boxes provided by the University Archives. (Call extension 4348 or 5592 to get these.)
- In the front of each box, include a list of the folders contained in that box.
- Please don't write on the outside of the boxes!
- Call us to arrange a day/time to transfer the materials from your office to ours.
If you have any questions about what you should keep, how long you should keep it, what should be sent to the archives, or what should be thrown away, please don't hesitate to contact Diane DeCesare Ross at extension 5592.