The University of Southern Mississippi -- McCain Library and Archives
Historical Manuscripts Home
Alphabetical List of All Collections | Collections Listed By Subject

Collection Title: Woods Guest House / Hattiesburg COFO Headquarters Collection

Accession Number: AM 98-76

Inclusive Dates: 1890s, 1998

Volume: 2 items

Given By: Donated by Mrs. Kay Wall and Dr. Bobs Tusa.

Copyright: This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).

Form of Material:

One brick salvaged from the ruins of the Woods Guest House at 507 Mobile Street, which was destroyed by fire on September 18, 1998, and one newspaper clipping from the Hattiesburg American of the same date, recounting the fire and the history of the building. The Woods Guest House, built between 1895 and 1900, was one of the area's first hotels for African Americans. In 1964, the Hattiesburg headquarters of the Council of Federated Organizations (COFO) was housed in one side of the building, with offices, sleeping quarters, and a Freedom Library during Freedom Summer.

Related Collections:

Randall (Herbert) Freedom Summer Photographs

Prepared and maintained by
The University of Southern Mississippi Libraries Special Collections
118 College Drive #5148   Hattiesburg, MS 39406-5148