The University of Southern Mississippi -- McCain Library and Archives
Alphabetical List of All Collections | Collections Listed By Subject
Collection Title: Wilkerson (Edward Clinton) Collection
August 2, 1996
Mrs. Frances Gay of Lake, Mississippi has donated to the department of Manuscripts and Archives in the McCain Library and Archives the business records of the general store and blacksmith shop operated by her father Mr. Edward Clinton "E.C." Wilkerson between Forest and Lake from 1926 to 1933.
The records consist of invoices, bills of lading, receipts, and correspondence. Mr. Wilkerson is remembered by his customers and neighbors as a sympathetic businessman who helped them survive the harsh economic times of the Depression by extending credit when they lacked the cash with which to purchase food and necessary supplies.
The store was closed in 1933, when Mr. Wilkerson turned to farming, and neither the store nor the blacksmith shop and storage building survives today.
Mr. Wilkerson's daughter and her husband now live in the comfortable retirement home which they built on her father's land. Mrs. Gay graduated from USM with a degree in education in 1949 and Mr. Gay in 1950 with a degree in Engineering. They retired recently from careers in teaching and engineering. Their three children are also graduates of USM.
Accession Number: AM 96-39
Inclusive Dates: 1926-1933
Volume: .75 cu.ft.
Given By: Donated by Mrs. Frances Gay.
Copyright: This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).
Form of Material:
Business records of the general store and blacksmith shop operated by Mr. Edward "E.C." Wilkerson near Lake, Mississippi from 1926 to 1933. The collection consists of invoices, bills of lading, receipts, and correspondence and the metal cracker tin in which they had been stored.