Creator: John H. Holgerson
Collection Number: M462
Title: Holgerson (John, PFC) Letter
Copyright: This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the united States (Title 17, United States Code).
Dates: September 3, 1943
Abstract: The collection contains a one-page letter from PFC Holgerson at the Technical Training School at the Army Air Force Technical Training Command at Gulfport Field, Mississippi, to his friend PFC Elwyn W. Lowe in New York.
During World War II, the United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) established several airfields in Mississippi to train pilots and aircrews as well as to prepare for antisubmarine defense of the Gulf of Mexico. Most of these airfields were under the command of the Third Air Force or the Army Air Force Technical Training Command (now the United States Air Force Air Education and Training Command). After the war, some of these airfields were converted into civilian airports or for agricultural uses. The Gulfport Army Airfield is now home to the Gulfport-Biloxi International Airport.
Scope and Content Note
The collection contains a one-page letter on “Army Air Force Technical Training Command: Gulfport Field, Mississippi” letterhead. The stationery also features seven historical photographs and is signed “John F.”
United States. Army Air Forces--History.
AM01-111: Skilton (Lewis E. & Albertine M.) Papers
AM02-26: Tucker (Rev. Elton Cartis) Papers
AM06-36: Gammon (Guy L.) WWII Collection
Provenance: Donated by Diane Ross on August 21, 2004.
Restrictions on Use: This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).
Preferred Citation Method: Item, Title of collection, McCain Library & Archives, The University of Southern Mississippi.
Processing Information: Processed by Lauren White.