The University of Southern Mississippi -- McCain Library and Archives
Alphabetical List of All Collections | Collections Listed By Subject
Collection Title: Parliamentarians' Records-Mississippi Division of the National Association of Parliamentarians
Collection Number: M202
Volume: 1.10 cu.ft.
The National Association of Parliamentarians was initiated in 1930 and incorporated three years later. The purpose of the Association is "to study, teach, promote, and disseminate the democratic principles of parliamentary law and processes." It was not until 1948 that a division of the National Association of Parliamentarians was formed in Mississippi.
On January 10, 1948, Mrs. B. L. Parkinson of Columbus invited a group of women who were, or had been, heads of state-wide organizations, to attend a luncheon meeting at the Golden Goose Café on the campus of Mississippi State College for Women. The purpose of the meeting was to create interest in an association of parliamentarians. All of those present took out membership in the National Association of Parliamentarians. They were informed that if and when a state association was formed, they would be charter members. It was also understood that they were to have twenty hours of lecture work under Mrs. Parkinson, who was, at that time, an officer in the National Association of Parliamentarians.
Interest grew slowly and invitations were extended to other women to gather for a luncheon in Mrs. Parkinson's home. During the luncheon on February 12, 1949, Mrs. Parkinson set forth the objectives of the meeting and the value of a state organization. This is considered to be the official date of organization of the Mississippi division.
The first convention was held on the campus of the Mississippi State College for Women on May 6, 1949. By-laws were adopted, officers elected, and the decision to hold an annual convention was made. Therefore, a state convention was held every year, except 1966, until the state division surrendered its charter.
During November 1977, a meeting was held in Hattiesburg. It was decided that the state charter should be surrendered to the national headquarters, since interest in the organization had declined during the 1970's.
This collection consists of the organizational files and two scrapbooks of the Mississippi Division of the National Association of Parliamentarians. The organizational files cover the period of 1948-1977 and include officer's reports, calls to the annual convention, convention minutes and programs, and unit reports. Also included are official board meeting minutes, copies of the by-laws, and correspondence.
The two scrapbooks contain information concerning the history of the Mississippi Division and its individual members. The Beta Unit, also known as the Cleveland Chapter, prepared one of the scrapbooks which documents the history of the organization from its conception in 1948 to 1967. In addition to the many newspaper clippings, both black and white and color photographs document such events as the installation of new officers.
The second of the two scrapbooks was prepared by the Gamma Unit, also known as the Jackson Chapter. This scrapbook covers the period 1967-1977. Many small color photographs of members, officers and meetings document this ten year period. Much of the information contained within this scrapbook pertains to the annual conventions. Materials included are newspaper clippings, calls to convention, programs and photographs of officers and unit members. This scrapbook also contains a history of the Mississippi Division of the National Association of Parliamentarians.
National Parliamentarian (Kansas City, Mo.: National Association of Parliamentarians, 1960-1975), call number JK515 .N375x (Cook Library).