Libraries Mission, Values & Goals
Mission, Values, and Goals
The mission of the University Libraries is to create an information-rich environment that fosters the intellectual development and creativity of the university community by providing services, collections, and other resources to meet the needs of the university’s students, faculty, staff, and other researchers in a changing academic landscape.
- Service – Deliver exemplary service.
- Stewardship – Evaluate, select, and provide access to a broad range of information resources.
- Intellectual Freedom – Protect the privacy of individuals and their rights to find and use information relevant to educational and research needs.
- Collaboration – Form partnerships that support or advance the Libraries’ mission.
- Equality – Provide access to the library and its resources without regard to national origin, background, or views.
- Diversity – Respect the richness of different ideas and cultures.
- Empowerment – Support student success and professional development.
- Engagement – Be a vital and welcoming center for educational and cultural activity.
- Provide, strengthen, maintain, and preserve the Libraries’ information resources.
- Pursue additional funding opportunities to stabilize the operating budget and enhance collections and services.
- Educate students and other researchers to successfully find, evaluate, and use information resources.
- Inform stakeholders through public relations and outreach about the evolving nature and value of library resources and services.
- Collaborate with potential partners inside and outside the university to strengthen and expand existing services and collections and to explore new mutually beneficial opportunities.
- Adopt new technologies to enhance the experience of library patrons and to improve employee efficiency.
- Recruit and retain highly skilled faculty and staff and facilitate the professional development of all University Libraries employees.
- Manage physical and virtual library spaces to provide environments conducive to learning and research.